SimpleHelp Server Requirements
The recommended hosting environment for your SimpleHelp server is dependent on the size of the SimpleHelp deployment, including the number of remote access services registering with the server, and the number of maximum concurrent sessions that will be used.
1-10 Sessions, 500 Services
10 - 50 Sessions, 2000 Services
50+ Sessions, 2000+ Services
|1 to 2 CPU Cores||2 to 4 CPU Cores||4 CPU Cores
+1 for each additional 50 sessions / 2000 services
|1 to 2GB Memory||4GB Memory||8GB Memory
scalable to 16GB
|Windows, Linux or macOS||Windows, Linux or macOS||Windows, Linux or macOS|
Server CPU Requirements
- Minimum one cpu thread, but two or more is recommended in order to minimise latency.
- For small deployments (see above) most non-free-tier 1 GB+ VPS systems are sufficient, 2+ cpu threads is best. Free tier systems often have no dedicated resources and can introduce latency.
- Above this, one physical dedicated cpu thread will typically support 50+ very heavy use sessions, 100+ light use sessions, 2000+ services. Multiple servers may be required for large Enterprise deployments.
- Given the variability of resource allocation on some virtualised systems we recommend installing a trial to ensure system suitability. VPS systems with no dedicated/guaranteed resources can introduce latency.
Server Memory Requirements
- Systems should have 1GB of memory as a minimum.
- Medium installations of up to 50 sessions and 2000 services should have between 2 and 4 GB of memory.
- Large installations should have 8 GB of memory as a minimum with the ability to scale to 16 GB or even 32 GB.
- Systems where SimpleHelp is expected to use more than 2 GB of memory must be 64bit.
- Idle sessions use approximately 0.5 KB/sec, 2-3 KB/sec. Typical sessions include idle periods with bursts of usage based on screen changes on the remote machine.
- Remote access services that register over UDP are more scalable than those that register over HTTP.
- For each 1000 machines over UDP - approximately 35 KB/sec (45 KB/sec with monitoring).
- For each 1000 machines over HTTP - approximately 100 KB/sec (200 KB/sec with monitoring).
Operating System Requirements
- Windows 7 or later, and Windows Server 2008 or later (32 bit or 64 bit)
- macOS 10.9 or later (64bit only)
- Linux (on x86 or x64)
- SimpleHelp runs on a variety of Linux distributions, including Ubuntu 16.04+, CentOS 5+, RHEL 5.5+, SUSE 10+
- glibc 2.4 required
- Linux (on ARM)
- SimpleHelp supports both ARMv8 and ARMv7 VFP instruction sets (hard-float ABIs).
- Distributions include Ubuntu Linux 12.04, 14.04, Raspbian